Infections are major factors affecting fishes in the pond, most especially the juvenile fishes, which could be a serious issue in the pond.
Most infections such as viral infections (virulent herpesvirus infection), bacterial infections (such as Pseudomonas fluorescens) which could lead to fin rot and fish dropsy, fungal infections, water mould infections, metazoan parasites, unicellular parasites, parasites such as Helminths, etc, could cause fish diseases, which usually leads to mass die off of the fishes in the pond.
How to Prevent Diseases
- The bottom of the pond should be treated regularly.
- Avoid feeding the fishes with spoilt feeds.
- The water supply inlet should always be monitored to prevent micro-organisms from entering the pond.
READ ALSO : CATFISH FARMING BASICS
- Always eliminate whatever is seen as threat as soon as they are discovered in the pond.
- Get rid of infected fish.
- Maintain quality water supply.
- Prevent chemicals and wastes from entering the pond.
- Do not overcrowd the pond.
- Feed the fishes with good meals.
- Do not overfeed the fish